Saturday, September 21, 2013

Long walk home...

So over the weekend of Sept 14th Hurricane Ingrid came down with the wrath of ten thousand sons on a little country we like to call Mexico. It hit land about 600 km south east of laredo texas in the gulf of Mexico, dropping about 50cm ( half a meter or 1.5 feet ) of rain in 48 hours. A tropical storm, brewing on the west coast, hit Acapulco dead centre, devastating everything.Some presumed 100 are missing according to politicians and news casts, but my spidy sense and experience in Mexico, tells me that when we are done and out with this and the mud dries to crust, it will be over 500...

When it hit northern Mexico, I was in El Salto, legs crossed waiting for a dry moment to start bolting a new sectors. I had been waiting for a week before the storm hit, with heavy rain hitting every afternoon. So much so that I had to duct tape the seams on my truck to prevent water from coming in. Impossible to find a window of opp.

When the storm passed it was clear that I was stranded. 22km leads from down the mountian to Cercado and actual civilisation. I decided, on tuesday, with an open window of white skys and little rain, to hoof it back.

Here is what I found.

My sentiments go out to anyone in the south. Just so you know, other then being cut off from communication, all towns in and around Laguna are safe. Choppers are bringing water and food daily.

Pictures. Videos are at the very bottom...

The town of Laguna ( lake in spanish ) de Sanchez is usually dry. Not anymore.


El Salto canyon, up and right. The town of Cienega in al its glory.

Got a ride with some Vatos drinking tecate light thinking they were gonna drive out because the truck, saved me a couple miles of walking and dry feet... for a while.





The following is the debris I encountered. Some was ok...






Some was worse. This is the cut off part of Cola de Coballo...







I arrived to a total state of emergency. Bottle water and food was being delivered by police and even the mayor of the town. They watched me walk out of the jungle, one even raised his gun. I spent about an hour explaining everything and telling em that peeps are fine up there. ect... bla bla bla...

All the above pics are with the Galaxy s3. Below, with my Nikon D3100.













The road to Cienega and Laguna. Totally fucked.


Some over due ice cream, waiting for my gf to pick me up in Cercado. Zoom in on the glass all the way in the back...:)


At the airport. Thought is was appropriate... Maybe some cowboys will start climbing, who knows. :)





The bag that got me out...

Home, finally...







Click here for one more...


No comments:

Post a Comment